Mikal Belicove published an article entitled Graceful Landing that offers 5 steps to a top-notch landing page.
- Anticipate the customer’s expectations: Rather than link the customer to your home page, create a landing page specifically for those arriving through a pay per click advertisement. By the way – anticipating expectations is an important trait in all aspects of building customer relationships and earning their loyalty.
- Focus on a clear, unambiguous call to action: you’ve seen those sites that have a paragraph and then a buy now button and a few more sentences and a buy now button and so on. Why? Because it works. It is clear what you want the reader to do….BUY NOW.
- Incorporate SEO: just like with your regular site, pepper your landing page’s title tag and headlines with the key word phrases readers will use to find your site.
- Reduce clutter: another way of saying that is – stick to one message or one product. Be focused in your message.
- Convey safety and trust. People buy from those they like and trust. If they think you are just selling them something rather than fulfilling a need they will be able to sense that. Certainly using trustworthy sites for money collection and stating that you won’t sell their personal information is of key importance.